7/19/2008

ThingmamaKIT Construction

I couldn't believe the shite quality on youtube and as a result I'm converting some videos to Vimeo. As always, I have made a timelapse video but this time: the assembly of my Dr. Bleep's ThingmamaKIT. I had to go to Justin's and Byonic's to drill holes into the case because I'm a vagrant and don't own normal things. The directions asked for strange drill bit sizes that no one seemed to have and because of that I spent 2 days cursing it. Either way, it's done. You can make yours all cute and bloopity but mine will serve darker purposes. Pictures of the final product inside the post...

ThingmamaKIT Assembly from surachai on Vimeo.




6 comments:

felix said...

Awesome man, that looks, and sounds, really good.

PS, if you haven't tried it already, use the audio out as CV (need some kind of level boost).

If you really take to processing it with the modular, I really recommend something like the A-119 Env. Follower. Works as a great signal booster, envelope follower, and gate/trigger generator.

surachai said...

That's the exact module I used to get the thingma into my system! I'll definitely try out that cv trick! Thanks for the heads up!

Faxed said...

Good work! It looks/sounds great! My kit should be here any day now and I can't wait.

I didn't know you had to drill your own box-- thanks for the heads up! Which bit sizes do they recommend you use (so I can pick 'em up ahead of time)?

surachai said...

Pete,
The directions tell you exactly what you need but since you don't have them yet you'll need to pick up 3/16", 5/16" and 1/2". That's inches aka non-metric aka America Fuck Yeah. You'll need wire cutters/ strippers and soldering iron of course.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you got the red leds. I would have been heartbroken with anything else.

Unknown said...

I just got my kit today! Instead of looking for those bits I've just been using a dremel to start a small hole then using a hand reamer to size them. Works like a charm. :D