6/22/2009

Tip Top Audio: Z2040 Self Oscillate

I'm not the most versed person with the history of synths, filters or chips - for instance I have only a slight idea of where the SSM2040 chip comes from, only because I googled it right now. So when a piece of equipment is released that carries a tie to past instruments, it drives fanboys nuts. Case in point: in the Muffwiggler forum, this filter is causing a winded debate about it being a faithful recreation of the original and some other noise but honestly, I'm a user and while I care (to an extent) there is a point where I just don't see the validity on either side of an argument and simply just want to make some noise. What is apparent though, is that this filter is available now and it sounds sick as hell and I'm not even talking about the filtering aspect. I've been excited about this filter for some time and was completely blindsided by what I found to be the most interesting aspect of it, the self oscillation + FM capabilities.

The video
I decided to stay away from simple filter sweeps and all that science for my consciousness' sake. I'm showcasing the Z2040's self oscillation capabilities, there is no signal going into the filter! A Z3000 is providing a Sawtooth into the FM input and the other is providing a Triangle into the VC-FM at around 47 seconds into the video. The modulating that is happening on the Z3000's are the coarse frequency knobs. I finally touch the frequency knob on the Z2040 at 1:25 which creates an array of amazing percussive sounds that I will no doubt sample. If you inject a signal it gets really insane but I'll leave that for another time. I've heard slight variations of the sounds created before - just never from a filter alone. As with the Z3000's FM capabilities, this filter is mental! Watch your speakers...




3 comments:

g.p.macklin said...

Sounds great and flexible to me.

felix said...

Nice dude! It sounds like the VC-FM is a really cool addition to that thing. I didn't think I needed another filter, but who knows...

Roche said...

narly