3/19/2008

Workspace and Environment: Miles Tilmann

I remember meeting Miles at a local club in Chicago and ending up talking to him at length about mutual friends, living abroad and most importantly: food. We shared from our experiences of the differences between urban European food and rural. A couple people stopped by, heard what we were talking about and promptly left. So, to share the details of the conversation would probably make you leave as well. Miles lived in France for an extended amount of time and that is where I am heading later today! While there are a few more Workspace and Environment articles left, I'll most likely be busy for the next few months eating. Don't worry, Justin will take care of you.

Background
[I was] Born in Michigan, I live in Chicago now because I wanted to see snow
again after living in Florida for 20 years.
[I have been making music] since 1995, so about 13 years now. I got motivated to make music because I always heard it in my head and figured it would be a good
idea to get some of it out. The same reason applies today.

What is your current favorite piece of hardware?
Faderfox midi control. It's tiny and has a joystick. Also record
players and cassette 4 tracks.

What is your current favorite software or plugin?
Logic ES2 synth.... it's extremely versatile.

How does your physical space and surroundings influence your workflow?
I like the color orange because it helps me think clearly.

Extra Curricular
I have some collaborations with Steve Hess, Kate Simko, Mark DeNardo
and Rich Grillotti. Some of these collaborations will be in an
upcoming film.

What was the first piece of hardware you remember obtaining?
Korg MS 2000... still one of my favorites.

What is on your current 'wish list'?
I dont have anything I dont need. I inherited a MPC that I haven't
touched yet.

Do you have a setup for live performances?
Laptop, Faderfox, Korg MS2000

How many physical locations have you had your studio?
This is my first real studio.

You can find Miles at Webhole and myspace.com/milestilmann. He has an LP coming out with Steven Hess. It'll be released june 3rd, 2008 on the label 'other electricities'

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great music :)