3/11/2008

Workspace and Environment: Eliot Lipp

Eliot Lipp was one of the first people we asked and agreed to participate in our blog. Due to our issues(slacking hardcore) here we are 4 months later with his interview. We're glad to finally be able to share his studio and a quick interview.

How long have you been involved with making music?
About 8 years

What is your current favorite piece of hardware?
My Korg MS-20. This synth is my signature sound. The first analog synth I ever bought.

What is your favorite piece of software?
I would have to say Ableton Live because I use it everyday for shows, producing, sampling, sequencing... but I love Sound Forge & Vegas too.

How does your physical space and surrounding influence your workflow?
I used to work at home but I feel more productive now that I have a studio. It's like going to the office for me. the downside is that it's in a basement and there are no windows so it gets a little creepy down there.

What was the first piece of hardware you remember obtaining?
Yamaha psr-510

What is on your current wish list?
The Macbeth M5 Synthesizer
Yamaha CS-50
and all the Plan B modules

Do you have a mobile studio setup?
When I'm on the road I always have my Korg MS-20, my MFB Synth2 and my Powerbook.

Do you have a setup for live performances?
MS-20, MFB Synth2, Powerbook, Mackie mixer, delay pedal, Midi controller.
sometimes a Roland TR-606 or Jomox X-base09

Have you ever heard your music being played in apublic place?
I was at a random bar in Texas an once and the dj played my hit "raptight" but I think he saw me and threw it on to be funny.

How many times has your setup changed?
Too many to count. I started with a keyboard & a four track and I just kept buying & selling gear. my studio is always changing, I rarely find a piece of gear that I feel I should keep for life.

You can find Eliot Lipp on Hefty Records, Eastern Developments, Metatronix, Money Studies

Myspace

2 comments:

illiac said...

oh shit, Lipp is dipping to the modulars!
That chair looks hurty.

surachai said...

Actually that is a modular chair made from precious metals harvested from the Black Forest in Bavaria and is called the Sitzen Meister. There are only 66 million of them on the planet. Rare!